Five things to remember while filing US Income Tax Returns
Given the circumstances around the world during this pandemic and certainly, new difficulties arising for this tax season, the IRS has offered a 5-point checklist that can help many people speed tax return processing and refund delivery while avoiding delays.
- Avoid delays by filing accurate returns and by using e-file and direct deposit: People should file returns electronically and choose the natural deposit option for paying the tax and getting a refund. They should make sure they have all the documents filed and the return form. For a hassle-free tax return, collect all documents before preparing a tax return; make sure stimulus payment and advance Child Tax Credit information is correct. You need to collect W-2s, Form 1099s and other income-related statements, along with it you also need to make sure that while filing people need to have their advance Child Tax Credit and Economic Impact Payment information in hand.
- Advance CTC letter 6419: The letter contains important information that ensures that the US income tax return is correct. People who receive advance CTC payments can check the amount of the payments they received by checking their Online Account on IRS.gov.in
Taxpayers who have already received their advance Child Tax Credit payments need to file a 2021 tax return to receive the other half of its credit. Eligible taxpayers can claim the full credit by filing a tax return but only those who did not receive advance their Child Tax Credit payments.
- Third Economic Impact Payment letter 6475: This letter will help individuals determine if they can claim the Recovery Rebate Credit (RRC) or not for the missing stimulus payments. People eligible for the RRC need to file the 2021 tax return to claim the stimulus amount that is left. People can also go ahead with the IRS online account to view their Economic Impact Payment amounts or get US tax return services.
- Make Use of online resources before calling the IRS: Phone demands on IRS assistance lines are certainly high. To avoid unnecessary delays, the IRS urges the people to use their official website IRS.gov to get queries related to tax solved, check their refund status or pay taxes. Online resources and tools are available 24 hours a day, so you don’t have to wait for appointments.
- A Special tip to help you with e-filing a 2021 tax return: Taxpayers require having their most recent tax return’s Adjusted Gross Income or AGI to authenticate and correctly submit an electronically filed tax return to the IRS. If you’re waiting for your 2020 tax return to be completed, here’s a piece of specific advice to ensure the IRS accepts your return. On the 2021 tax return, make sure to mention $0 (zero dollars) for the previous year’s AGI. For those who have used a Non-Filer tool in 2021 to register for an advance Child Tax Credit or third Economic Impact Payment, their prior-year AGI should be $1. Everyone else should input their AGI from the previous year’s tax return.
Too much information to digest?
Well, you can certainly contact us to help you out with all of your tax-related queries and get US income tax return services. Mercurius Advisory Services provides you with top-notch taxation services and consists of a team of industry experts with years of experience in bookkeeping, filing of business and individual taxes.
Book a free consultation to clarify your queries by visiting our website: www.mas.net.in