Common US Tax Forms Suggested by IRS

February 17, 2023by MAS Editorial Team0

Just like any other country, the USA is also strict about the timely submission of taxes and tax returns. This means that any individual, whether resident or non-resident, individual or corporation must fill out the tax forms. 

However, it is not as simple as it sounds to fill out the tax or tax return forms because of various clauses and differentiations made by the Internal Revenue Service. Therefore, to save yourself from unwanted penalties and be a responsible citizen you must be aware of the tax forms.

To have your back covered, we have brought to you some of the main and common US tax forms. This can help you to have a brief understanding of the form YOU need to fill as well.


Form 1040: US Individual Income Tax Return

Individuals having taxable income in the USA need to file Form 1040 to the IRS for submitting their tax return. It is applicable for all the citizens and residents of the USA having a reportable income. For deductions and other benefits, they can use additional forms such as Form W4 or W9 and documents like Schedule E to be considered.


Form 1040NR: US Non-Resident Alien Income Tax Return

Form 1040-NR is filed by a non-resident alien who has a business or trade in the USA. It is also filed by an individual if they represent a deceased person and estate or trust who used to file Form 1040-NR. This also helps to report the taxable income.


Form 1065: US Return of Partnership Income

All the partnership firms in the USA whether domestic or foreign (with income in the US) must file Form 1065. This is applicable for the religious organizations as well. Just like other tax forms, this form also reports the taxable income of the organization to the IRS and can charge huge penalties if failed to file. 

Form 1120: US Corporation Income Tax Return

The income, gains, losses, deductions, or credits of a US corporation are reported via Form 1120. It helps the IRS in figuring out their tax liability and how much they owe them. This form is specifically important by all the domestic C corporations in the USA unless they are exempt from doing so.


Form 1120s: US Income Tax Return for S Corporation

An organization, who became an S corporation, needs to report the income, gains, losses, deductions, and so on via Form 1120s. This form is specifically for domestic S corporations. It informs the IRS about the taxable income earned by the corporation and also helps in understanding the taxable income of the corporation’s shareholders.


Form 990: US Income Tax Return for Organizations Exempt from Taxes

Usually, every individual, corporation, LLC, or partnership firm needs to file tax return forms. However, the IRS exempts a few from doing it. These firms include non-profit organizations. Therefore, in order to not file tax returns, these firms must file Form 990 and inform the IRS about that.


Where can I find these tax forms?

There are no hard & fast rules to find these forms as they are easily available in different modes. Those who are looking for the above-mentioned tax forms can get them:

  1. Online on the IRS website
  2. Via Call made to IRS
  3. Tax software (in some packages)
  4. IRS Free File program
  5. From a Public Library or Post Office (not all forms are provided)
  6. Local IRS Office
  7. Tax experts to guide you throughout the form downloading and filling process


NOTE: There are many other supplemental forms and documents that need to be attached along with these tax forms. Those forms could be compulsory and require more knowledge. We suggest that you took assistance from trusted sources.

Written by – Priyanka Rampal


Follow us for more good reads and helpful insights if you have queries related to finance management and tax filing!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *